Saturday 26 September 2015

18th Birthday Party (Debutante's Ball)

So recently one of my closest friends since birth (my sister from another mister) celebrated her 18th birthday. It is a Filipino tradition to give the girl a huge birthday party for coming of age; it is basically a debutantes ball.

The theme was black and white. Everybody had to dress formally in either black or white. The girls looked absolutely stunning and the boys looked rather dashing and handsome, considering most of them were a year younger than me.

It was a lovely event shared with close family and friends. It was also rather unusual for me. My mum is not really big on tradition so this was my first debutantes ball (No, I didn’t celebrate my 18th birthday; it was in the middle of mid-term exams).

There was a special ceremony of representing 18 roses and 18 candles. The girls represented the 18 candles and the guys gave the birthday girl each a rose, a total of 18! After that she and her father opened the dance floor with the traditional father-daughter dance which was followed by each guy dancing with her. After the ceremonial dances were the 18 wishes. This is basically giving the gift to her and making a lovely sappy speech.

The food was amazing and delicious. Especially the light chocolate mousse pudding! After all the formalities were finished, we broke out on the dance floor and danced all night! Boy, were all our feet sore!! It was an amazing night, one that I would never forget!

Here are some snaps of the evening!

Love,

Sarah Rose xx 

This is me giving a short and sappy speech :P
Dress: Foschini
Shawl: Truworths
Lipstick: Avon - Berry Bold


The 18 roses :)

The gorgeous birthday girl <3

The birthday girl and me! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment